Thursday, November 5, 2009

Midnight

“Be awake in an hour”
the butterflies kick up a storm inside
my soul. But I can't help it.
This love is deep
deeper than I could have ever wished.

The clock strikes midnight and
my face is as bright as the moon because
before long you'll be here and
wrapped in your arms I'll feel complete.

The phone rings and your voice instantly grounds me;
making small talk as if that's the way we've always done things.
You talk of how happy you are with her and
how things are falling into place.

Sharing secrets and sweet lullabies;
it's just something that you and I do.

“She's pregnant” your shaky voice says
and through that beautiful smile I see
that you've never been more excited 
or scared. Even the best fall down sometimes.

Out with friends and
Jimmy Buffets Love Child;
laughter is contagious, it's true.
One message darkens my world
“The doctor says it's not true”
so it is that heartbreak and despair
are also contagious. 

Why is it that we're so connected?
They say its not right, but 
sharing secrets and sweet lullabies;
it's just something that you and I do.

Nothing will ever come of you and I again; this I know
but we still have midnight.

Nothing will ever come of you and I again; this I know
but we still have midnight.

No comments: